Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fred Runs the Big Sur Marathon

Fred ran the Big Sur International Marathon last weekend. He did a great job, coming in under 5 hours and without exhaustion. He said he could have kept running. He actually had fun doing it too, which is totally beyond my comprehension. I don't think I will ever understand how running 26.2 miles could be fun, but I'm so glad he had a good time. He was one of about 9,000 runners and walkers that day -- 4,5oo of them ran the marathon, the rest competed in other races -- relays, 10K, 5K, 21 mile walk, etc. It was fun to watch people cross the finish line, especially Fred. And I want to thank Beverly, Craig, Curtis, Isaac, and Luke for being there with me to watch Fred cross the finish line.




After the marathon, we drove down and stopped at the beach so Fred could soak his legs in the water -- it ended up being a little too cold, but a great picture opportunity.


The Big Sur Marathon runs along Hwy 1 from Big Sur up to Carmel. After, the roads were cleared, we drove the course so Fred could show me the beauty he got see for nearly 5 hours. This picture was taken along our drive. It is a beautiful drive along the coastline, but so many hills -- the whole course is basically hills - up and down. No wonder, they say it is one of the most difficult marathons to run.



Great Job Fred -- I'm so proud of you for reaching your goal and running the marathon and losing 75 pounds along the way -- what a great acheivement. Even though this is your third marathon, the other 2 were run in your twenties and the LA marathon isn't all hills either. This was a huge accomplishment. Since you ran a marathon at 24 and now 34, I think you'll have to do another one at 44. What do you say to that?
Love you, NataLee

6 comments:

Joy Allen said...

This is so wonderful! I'm so proud of you Fred and so happy to see your dear wife's support! Thanks to Grandma Laurie for watching our little Mabel too!
Hugs,
MommaJoy

Eric said...

Awesome!

Melissa said...

AWESOME! Fred that is awesome, and NataLee I love your ramblings. Can't wait to hear more about the Allen Family mischeif! Love you guys!
~Melissa

Brent said...

Pretty awesome stuff Fred. Congratulations on finishing and doing it in a great time!

Sharran said...

Way to go FRED!!! You are an inspiration to us all. Love you guys. Sharran

Brent said...

Fred you are awesome!